Welcome to the Volusia County Democratic Party
The Volusia County Democratic Party is a Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) legislated by Florida Statutes. It is the official branch of the Florida Democratic Party in Volusia County. The DEC has oversight of all Democratic Party activities within Volusia County. It carries all directives and authorities granted to it by the Florida Democratic Party and by Florida Statutes (Section 103.091) within Volusia County.
Volusia County is home to approximately 507,531 residents and encompass the following cities and unincorporated area: Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach Shores, Debary, Deland, Deleon Springs, Deltona, Edgewater, Holly Hill, Lake Helen, New Smyrna Beach, Oak Hill, Orange City, Ormond Beach, Ormond-by-the-Sea, Pierson, Ponce Inlet, Port Orange and South Daytona.
The Volusia County Democratic Party holds regular meetings every fourth Monday of each month from 7:00pm to 8:30pm. Meeting location are posted on the main page of this website and on our Event Calendar.
Members of the Democratic Executive Committee are generally composed of one male and one female representative from each precinct. They are elected to a four year term commencing the first month after a presidential election.
In addition, from time to time the membership elect representative to fill vacancies. These Elected Members represent the Democratic voters in their precinct and are responsible for coordination of campaign activities, voter registration and get-out-the-vote efforts in their precinct. They possess full rights, privileges and responsibilities of membership, including full voting rights, and the right to elect and serve as officers of the DEC.
Additionally, the Chair of the DEC may appoint At-Large members in order to achieve political, minority, economic, or other necessary representation within the county committee. These members have voting and other privileges of membership with the exception that they may not serve as officers. Their appointment is for a one-year term, expiring on December 31 of the year of appointment, other than in presidential election years when it expires on November 30.
The office of Precinct Committee-Chair is without any question the most important position in the entire Democratic Party. Harry Truman once stated that it was the most important position he ever held. A Precinct Committee-Chair is a Democratic Party official at the local level elected to serve as the party leader in the precinct.
- Sign Loyalty Oath: You are required to sign an oath that you are a registered Democrat and qualified elector in Volusia County and will not support the election of any opponent of any Democratic nominee, other than in judicial races.
- Attend Monthly Meetings: Florida Statutes and the Party bylaws require attendance at DEC meetings. Specifically, the DEC is required by law to declare a position vacant if a precinct committee member misses 3 consecutive DEC meetings without excuse (excused absences are permitted, but not to be abused).
- Participate in DEC activities: In addition to working in your own precinct, you are expected to participate in the general activities of the DEC, including mandatory participation on at least one standing committee, and contributing on ad hoc committees as needed.
- Raise funds for the party: Although there is no obligation to do so, please consider pledging a monthly sum that you can afford to help with our recurring expenses. Without money, nothing can be accomplished. All of us must help in this critical area.
- Organize your precinct for Democratic victory: Organizing your precinct to win is the most important duty of the precinct committeeman or woman. Our goal is to ensure that every Democrat goes to the polls and votes for Democrats up and down the ballot. You will receive the training and resources you’ll need to organize your precinct.
To become a member of the Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee contact our Membership Chair or complete the online form on this web site. You will be required to sign the Democratic Oath of Loyalty prior to being sworn in as an official member of the Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee.