For decades, America has relied on unsustainable energy sources and has been bound to the status quo by special interests. Democrats have made historic investments in clean-energy technologies that are helping pave the way to a more sustainable future, creating new jobs and entire industries here in America. We believe that now is the moment for this generation to embark on a national mission to unleash America’s innovation and seize control of our own destiny.
The transition to clean energy has the potential to grow our economy and create millions of new jobs here in America. Recognizing this, the Obama administration has made historic strides in creating a 21st-century clean-energy economy.
Already, this President has led the way to:
- Domestic oil production at an eight-year high, and dependence on foreign oil at a 16-year low. In 2011, we cut net oil and petroleum imports by 1 million barrels a day.
- Expanded domestic oil production by speeding up the leasing process and improving safety measures to prevent future spills.
- Nearly doubling renewable wind, solar, and geothermal energy since 2008.
- Agreeing with automakers to nearly double fuel efficiency standards for cars and trucks, helping to save families more than $8,000 per vehicle at the pump and decrease our oil consumption by an estimated 2.2 million barrels a day.
- President Obama knows we can’t just drill our way to lower gas prices or a quick-fix solution to our energy needs. That’s why he and Democrats are focused on developing all of America’s natural resources — domestic oil, gas, wind, solar, and biofuels — and encouraging fuel efficiency so that we can reduce our dependence on foreign oil over time.
Investments in a clean-energy economy will lead to the industries of the future, creating millions of jobs and preparing a new generation of architects and energy auditors, factory workers, and engineers building solar panels and wind turbines.