For Democrats, changing politics in Washington means ensuring that government is open, transparent, and responsive to the needs of the people. President Obama has implemented the most sweeping ethics and transparency requirements in history, building on steps taken by Democrats to limit the influence of special interests and ensure that government is accountable to the people.
Democrats believe that government should be honest, transparent, and participatory. For too long, lobbyists and special interests have held sway behind closed doors, and Americans have become skeptical that the voices of ordinary people are being heard. The Obama administration has taken unprecedented steps to restore the public’s faith in government by opening up the process of governing.
Transparency promotes accountability and provides information for citizens about what their government is doing. We are committed to creating the most open, transparent, and accountable government in history. In the past few years, Democrats have taken steps to:
- Bring unprecedented accountability to federal spending;
- Rein in the influence of lobbyists in Washington;
- Shut down the “revolving door” that allowed lobbyists to move freely from government to special interests and back;
- Open more lines of communication with the American public; and
- Increase cooperation across all levels of government, as well as with nonprofit organizations, businesses, and individuals in the private sector.
Departments and agencies are using innovative tools, methods, and systems to solicit public feedback, offering Americans more opportunities to participate in policy making while providing government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information. Openness strengthens our democracy and promotes honesty, efficiency, and effectiveness in government.