The Volusia County Democratic Party (VCDP) is a Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) legislated by Florida Statutes. It is the official branch of the Florida Democratic Party in Volusia County. The DEC has oversight of all Democratic Party activities within the county, and carries out all directives and authorities granted to it by the Florida Democratic Party, and by Florida Statutes (Section 103.091) within Volusia County.
Volusia County is home to approximately 507,531 residents, and encompasses the following cities and unincorporated areas:
Daytona Beach / Daytona Beach Shores / Debary / Deland / Deleon Springs / Deltona / Edgewater / Holly Hill / Lake Helen / New Smyrna Beach / Oak Hill / Orange City / Ormond Beach / Ormond-by-the-Sea / Pierson / Ponce Inlet, Port Orange and South Daytona.
The VCDP holds regular meetings on the 4th Monday of each month from 7:00-8:30 p.m. Meeting locations for the VCDP, as well as its multiple clubs and caucuses, are all posted under the Clubs & Caucuses page on this website.
Democratic Executive Committee (DEC)
Members of the DEC are generally composed of one male and one female representative from each precinct. They are elected to a 4-year term beginning on the first month after a presidential election.
In addition, from time to time the membership elects representatives to fill vacancies. These ‘Elected Members’ represent the Democratic voters in their precinct, and are responsible for coordinating theprecinct’s campaign activities, voter registration, and get-out-the-vote! efforts. They possess the full rights, privileges and responsibilities of membership, including full voting rights and the right to elect and/or serve as officers of the DEC.
Additionally, the Chair of the DEC may appoint At-Large members to achieve political, minority, economic, or other necessary representation within the County Committee. These members have voting and other privileges of membership, with the exception that they may not serve as officers. Their appointment is for a 1-year term, expiring on December 31 of the year of the appointment–other than in presidential election years, when it expires on November 30.
The office of Precinct Committee Chair is without any question the most important position in the entire Democratic Party. Harry Truman once stated that it was the most important position he ever held. The Precinct Committee Chair is a Democratic Party official at the local level, elected to serve as the party leader for the precinct.
To become a member of the Volusia County Democratic Executive Committee (DEC), contact the Membership Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) or complete the online form on this website. You will be required to sign the Democratic Oath of Loyalty before being sworn in as an official member of the Volusia County DEC.
DEC Member Responsibilities:
- Sign Loyalty Oath: You are required to sign an oath that you are a registered Democrat and qualified elector in Volusia County, and that you will not support the election of any opponent of any Democratic nominee, other than in judicial races.
- Attend Monthly Meetings: Florida Statutes and Party bylaws require attendance at DEC meetings. Specifically, the DEC is required by law to declare a position vacant if a precinct committee member misses 3 consecutive DEC meetings without excuse (excused absences are permitted, but not to be abused).
- Participate in DEC activities: In addition to working in your own precinct, you are expected to participate in general activities of the DEC, including mandatory participation in at least one standing committee, and contributing to ad hoc committees as needed.
- Raise funds for the party: Although there is no obligation to do so, consider pledging a monthly financial contribution that you can afford to help with the committee’s recurring expenses. Without money, nothing can be accomplished. All of us must help in this critical area.
- Organize your precinct for Democratic victory: Organizing your precinct to WIN is the most important duty of the Precinct Committee member. Our goal is to ensure that every Democrat goes to the polls and votes for Democrats up and down the ballot. No worries, you will receive the training and resources needed to organize your precinct.